Today, we received an inquiry from someone wanting to know whether or not our Aloe gel is certified by the International Aloe Science Council (IASC). This is an excellent question, one that deserves a solid answer, so we decided to respond here on the Stockton Aloe 1 Blog.
THE IASC IS A NON-PROFIT TRADE ORGANIZATION that focuses on the Aloe industry. The Council keeps up with Aloe news, monitors any legislation that might affect the industry, and maintains a certification program aimed at protecting consumers against shoddy practices leading to inferior Aloe products.
Stockton Aloe 1 applauds the efforts of the IASC … but we are not members.
Here is why:
- Our product is appreciably different from the Aloe you typically purchase online or at the supermarket. Because of that, the IASC does not have protocols to collect, test, and certify our Aloe gel.
- Stockton Aloe #1 is a raw, 100% pure, whole food. It does not contain preservatives. It is fresh frozen and shipped rapidly to the customer. We do not intend for our products to sit on the shelf in a warehouse or on a grocery store shelf. The IASC program, though, is designed for Aloe products that do contain preservatives.
- We feel the IASC certification is helpful to protect consumers of processed Aloe drinks. However, the procedures the IASC uses for collection and testing would allow for degradation and fermentation of our raw and 100% pure unpreserved whole food products.
- Stockton Aloe 1 processing standards already exceed those of the IASC. We do not know of any IASC-certified products that exceed our own specifications, including:
- No heat processing is used. Our Aloe is not pasteurized.
- Stockton Aloe #1 is 100% natural, pure Aloe barbadensis miller-stockton species.
- We use the whole food inner fillet only.
- Our Aloe gel is less than 10 parts per million aloin content (The excessive consumption of aloin is not recommended. It comes from the outer leaf, which we do not use.)
- Stockton Aloe #1 is greater than 5% acemannan by dry weight (Acemannam is known to stimulate the immune system, destroy viruses, and provide gastrointestinal benefits. It has been used in cancer-fighting drugs and is being studied for its potential as a natural treatment and preventative for cancer.)
Stockton Aloe #1 gel has been tested in the same laboratories the IASC uses for their certification of Aloe vera, and our Aloe exceeds the standards set by the IASC for both aloin and acemannan.
Participation in the IASC certification program costs member companies thousands of dollars annually. Since our products do not contain preservatives, are not meant to sit on the shelf for extended periods, and already meet or exceed every applicable IASC standard, we feel it is better to apply that money to activities that benefit our customers, rather than to spend unnecessary money on trade organization dues.
The IASC provides the following video on their website to demonstrate the process used by most Aloe vera producers.
NOTE: This video does not display the process we use. It is a film from the IASC, showing one of their certified facilities.
We feel the IASC certification is beneficial among processed aloe drinks. However, the procedures they use for collection and testing would allow for degradation and fermentation of raw and 100% pure unpreserved whole food products.
Compare what you saw in the video above to our hand fillet process, as demonstrated by Dr. Michael Haley in the following video. This will show you how to fillet raw Aloe. It also demonstrates how to identify aloin.
So, the short answer, concerning whether or not our products are certified by the IASC is, “No, they are not.”
That said, we trust you can understand why we are not IASC members. If there was anything we could do to improve the quality of our Aloe, we would do it.
The bottom line is this: we are already using 100% pure Aloe gel from the world’s premier Aloe species, and we are processing it by the most natural means possible and without having to add chemical preservatives, fillers, or any other contaminant.
Please use the comment section below for your remarks or further questions.
At Stockton Aloe 1, we care for you … naturally.